This extension to the Tasman District Council main office building in Richmond was designed to accommodate staff who were previously located in other buildings nearby. The approximately 1000 sqm two level addition relocates the main public service centre, meeting rooms and customer support offices to the ground floor Queen Street frontage. Open plan offices are located at first floor to accommodate TDC Engineering services. The new planning has freed up space elsewhere in the complex to accommodate other staff and has lead to better staff communication and efficiencies.
The new addition provides a visual connection with the street and definition of the street edge. Landscaping elements provide separation between the street spaces and those inside the building.
A new timber canopy cantilevered over the footpath highlights the new entrance to the double height public foyer. Two feature columns are detailed to represent stylised Nikau palms, which are accentuated by feature lighting at night. A secondary public entrance from the east car park end is defined by an existing magnolia tree that has been carefully protected during construction.
The new light filled public service centre is a warm and inviting space. Natural light and ventilation is drawn into the upper floor offices through a raised section of roof creating a light filled spacious interior.
The bulk, form and siting of the building have been well managed to contribute to the building complex and spaces around it. A dark grey zinc seamed cladding is appropriately civic and contemporary. Silver anodised vertical louvres provide contrast and shadowing while controlling solar heat gain. The composition is coherently resolved and includes an attractive degree of richness and articulation. It successfully links in with other buildings in the complex both in its alignments and its aesthetics.